Newtown St Boswells
Lying on the Bowden Burn, Newtown St Boswells is situated between the larger settlements of St Boswells and Melrose. Contrary to its name Newtown St Boswells is an old settlement, being well established by the 16th century. Newtown St Boswells has been known by many names in the past: Newtoune, Newtown of Eildon, Neuton and Newtown of Dryburgh to name a few.
Newtown St Boswells was a milling centre for the grain produced in the area. The burns which run through the village meant the monks of Melrose Abbey would bring their corn to be ground at Newtown Mill, which was milling continuously until the early 1900's.
Today Newtown St Boswells serves as the headquarters of Scottish Borders Council and with the opening of the Borders Railways (proposed late 2015) in the nearby settlement of Tweedbank, the village is bursting with opportunities.
Population (2011) - 1,279